A bit of culture at The Pea Pod (at last!)

Yesterday my mum and I popped to Gloucester for a day out. We were on a mission to find the cities car boot sale and to try and get mums camera fixed.
Well, we found the car boot sale with no problems, although I did think it was a little disappointing and pricey. I came away with a little folk art embroidered box and mum found some beads to use at her sewing group so it wasn't a total waste of time.
Next stop was the city center for tea and cake and a little mooching. As we walked through the cathedral grounds it was apparent that there was an art exhibition taking place. I knew it was on but had totally forgotten about it. Being the culture vultures we are we had to take a look.
The cathedral itself is a work of art, but the modern day artworks really look fantastic in their grand surroundings and they compliment each other perfectly.

*** Now at this point I have to say that this post is a little vague on the fine details i.e the titles of the sculptures on show and who actually created them, this is due to the fact that we bought a program but mum took it home with her and it's still in her handbag so I don't have the facts to hand - oops sorry, but I hope you can still enjoy the show! ***

At the entrance we were greeted by this huge fella.

There were works of art everywhere and there are so many of them that the battery in my camera run out of juice before I could get them all.








This chap we found in the cloisters...




he's got a face only his mother could love.





This sculpture I thought was a little spooky. It's unmistakably Anthony Gormley's work.


and then we came across this humorous sculpture called 'The Fast Supper', which was a line of paper mache hands holding take away food (and in this case fags) and a photo of the Last Supper below it, d'ya get it?



There's a real mix of emotions provoked by the works on display some are spooky, some funny, some serene and some are just clever. This one sits in the spooky category for me.

spooky...

spooky, (although it did have a funny pot belly with a belly button on show)

Whilst we were viewing this one there was a little girl looking at it who kept calling it a goblin, I think she's right it is a bit gobliny (if that's a word).


Now you may be looking at this and thinking that my camera has elongated this sculpture but in actual fact the work itself is stretched which really messes with your mind when your looking at it.

There are some absolutely huge sculptures on show which must have been a logistical nightmare to place.

Shiny nudey bloke (not the official title)

Just take a look at some of the features of the building itself, it's beautiful.




If you would like to find out more about the exhibition or the cathedral then visit http://www.crucible2010.co.uk/ and http://www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/

Comments

  1. Beautiful pictures, Lizzie.

    Hope you are having a wonderful week. La

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks La, you probably caught a glimps of my draft blog post published by mistake and are wondering, what's all that about? Blogger seems to be playing up for me at the mo and sending me off line all the time. Anyway the full post is up now and hopefully it will all make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having a lot of issues with Blogger too. It's very frustrating. I'm glad I came back to see the rest of the post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts